Hair color is an important element. It defines a character
quite well most of the time. Below are various types of
hair color displayed how you would present them in a manga.
Colors range from white to jet black hair.
1) White Hair - Just the outline of the
2) Blonde Hair - Add lines to the hair
where you would put highlights
3) Tone Hair - Hair with tones be it physically
added or digitally inserted. Check out Tones:
Basics for more details.
4) Black Hair with Highlights - White areas around
the top of the head and some near the bottom if coloring
5) Black Hair with White Hair Lines - Hair
lines that would normally be black on lighter hair is now
white on black hair. Just think of it as an outline of the
hair. This can be a bit tricky depending on what you're
If you had a regular white haired person, to get this effect,
just invert the image - then recolor the face and other
parts with black.
I would suggest you color black lines around your penciling
of your hair lines. It'll save you a lot of trouble later.